Projects commissioned through the NPF
Through the National Project Fund, Ako Aotearoa commissions projects on a case-by-case basis and supports projects in partnership with other funders as opportunities arise.
Current requests for proposals
RFP: Achieving substantive change for learners
The Teaching and Learning Research Initiative (TLRI) and Ako Aoteaora are working in partnership to fund a major project entitled: Achieving substantive change in learner outcomes: acting on the collective knowledge generated through the TLRI and Ako Aotearoa Projects.
Up to $300,000 (GST exclusive) in funding is available for this work.
Enhancing learning in undergraduate mathematics
A major new project that seeks to improve tertiary education outcomes for mathematics learners has been jointly funded by the Teaching and Learning Research Initiative (TLRI) and Ako Aotearoa, the National Centre for Tertiary Teaching Excellence.
A team of eight researchers and 10 mathematicians, led by Professor Bill Barton and Dr Judy Paterson at The University of Auckland, has been awarded $276,900 over the next two years to explore how to enhance the graduate attributes of mathematics graduates.
Current projects in progress
- Enhancing learning in undergraduate mathematics (due for completion 2015)
- Knowing Practice (due for completion late 2014)
- Ka Whānau Mai Te Reo: I roto i te wānanga (due for completion late 2015)
An online orientation to Open, Flexible and Distance Learning (due for mid 2014)
The links below take you to information and reports for all the commissioned work funded through Ako Aotearoa's National Project Fund.
- Transforming Tertiary Science Education (March 2013)
- Pasifika learners and success in tertiary education (July 2013)
- Codes of Practice for domestic tertiary students in New Zealand (February 2012)
- Hei Tauira: Teaching and Learning for Success for Māori in Tertiary Settings
- Literacy, language and numeracy research summary (February 2011)
- Kaiako Pono - Mentoring for Māori Learners in the Tertiary Sector (August 2010)
- Review It: Enhancing the learner voice ( November 2011)
- Scholarship of Teaching & Learning : A practical introduction and critique (December 2010)
- Student engagement at New Zealand Institutes of Technology and Polytechnics (July 2011)
- Taking the Lead: Strategic Management for e-Learning (September 2008)
- Tertiary Assessment & Higher Education Student Outcomes: Policy, Practice & Research (July 2009)
- Tertiary Practitioner's Guide to Collecting Evidence of Learner Benefit (January 2011)
The impact of tertiary education strategies on success for Pacific learners (July 2012)