Ako Aotearoa Professional Development Workshops - About the programme
Our commitment to providing high quality professional development events
The workshops in this programme are developed from New Zealand-relevant, evidence-based research funded by Ako Aotearoa. Participants are provided with the opportunity to engage critically and thoroughly with key information that is:
- high quality and evidence-based
- relevant to practitioners across all parts of the tertiary sector
- supportive of cultural diversity
- excellent value for money
- beneficial to career development.
All participants can expect the workshops to provide:
- expert delivery of high quality content
- interactive sessions
- practical ideas for using the material in applying and enhancing teaching practice
- excellent resources to take away and share with colleagues
- follow-up to gain greater understanding of how the workshop has really contributed to their work.
Our commitment to learners – a systematic approach
In line with Ako Aotearoa’s overarching vision of the best possible educational outcomes for all learners, all sessions are designed to support the enhancement of teaching and learning practices in ways that can be immediately implemented and shared with others.
Finding ways to measure if or how these changes in practice may enhance teaching for the benefit of learners is a part of the process that many workshops do not explore. Ako Aotearoa’s Professional Development Programme adopts a systematic approach to measuring impact of workshops that involves a 3-step evaluation process, consisting of:
- Pre-workshop questionnaire (at registration)
Supports participants’ reflective preparation for the workshop. It also provides the facilitator with clear understanding of participant needs.
- Workshop evaluation (during workshop)
Considers the quality and value of the workshop for participants and identifies priorities for changes in practice.
- Post-workshop evaluation (approximately 2 months later)
Supports practitioners to identify emerging benefits for learners as a result of the workshop.
Ako Aotearoa staff will, where necessary, provide follow-up support and assistance with this process to ensure its maximum effectiveness.
The following Ako Aotearoa publication is a valuable resource which will assist participants to prepare for the workshops and evaluation after the event. It primarily focuses on gathering data on learner benefit, and evaluating that data.
Download A Tertiary Practitioner’s Guide to Collecting Evidence of Learner Benefit by Anne Alkema (700 KB PDF)