Excellent teachers inspiring learner success
Professor Michael Walker, from the School of Biological Sciences, The University of Auckland took home the top award - The Prime Minister's Supreme Award - at the Tertiary Teaching Excellence Awards ceremony at parliament last night.
The Prime Minister, Rt Hon John Key, personally presented the award this year, with a cheque for $10,000.
Professor Walker (Te Whakatōhea) also received a Sustained Excellence award in the Kaupapa Māori category. Sandra Lee Morrison ((Te Arawa, Ngāti Maniapoto, Ngati Rārua), senior lecturer/associate dean at the School of Māori and Pacific Development at the University of Waikato, was the other recipient of a Sustained Excellence award in that category.
Ten other top teachers also received Sustained Excellence awards in the General category. All recipients took home $20,000 with their awards.
The Tertiary Teaching Excellence Awards recognises tertiary teachers' committed and sustained contribution to their teaching and consistently high level of support for their learners.
Our congratulations go to all twelve awardees, profiled below.
Prime Minister’s Supreme Award 2011, and Sustained Excellence in Tertiary Teaching in a Kaupapa Māori Context
- Professor Michael Walker (Te Whakatōhea) - The University of Auckland
Sustained Excellence in Tertiary Teaching in a Kaupapa Māori Context
- Sandra Lee Morrison (Te Arawa, Ngāti Maniapoto, Ngati Rārua) - University of Waikato
Sustained Excellence in Tertiary Teaching
- Peter Bilous - Otago Polytechnic
- Dr Mary Fitzpatrick - The University of Waikato
- Professor Kevin Gould - Victoria University of Wellington
- Jon Harding - University of Canterbury
- Rena Heap - The University of Auckland
- Professor Robin Kearns - The University of Auckland
- Dr Ross McDonald - The University of Auckland
- Ksenija Napan - UNITEC
- Dr Leoni Schmidt - Otago Polytechnic
- Tony Zaharic - University of Otago
Media coverage of the awards
- Prof Michael Walker wins top tertiary teaching award (video) - Te Karere, 3 August
- Maori Academics receive prestigious awards - TangataWhenua.com, 4 August