Our work with Pacific educators and learners
Find out about Ako Aotearoa's growing work with Pacific tertiary educators and learners.
The Ako Aotearoa Strategic Plan 2010 - 2013 identifies "supporting Pacific Peoples' advancement through tertiary education" as one of its strategic themes. The organisation is committed to working with tertiary teachers and learners to achieve this.
The establishment of our Pacific Peoples' Caucus in has brought together a diverse range of Pacific tertiary leaders to guide us on how we prioritise and further our work with this group.
The Ako Aotearoa Pacific Peoples’ Caucus' work programme
The Pacific Peoples' Caucus is developing a strategic work programme to support Pacific staff and learners in tertiary education. This is not only designed to enhance Pacific achievement in tertiary education, but also recognises that, to make sustainable gains for Pacific people, there is an urgent need to support capability building and the establishment of a critical mass of leadership and research expertise amongst Pacific tertiary educators.
Thus, there are, at present, three strands to this portfolio:
- Enhancing Pacific leadership in the sector through our involvement with and support of the Pacific leadership development programme.
- Identifying and sharing case studies in exemplary practice supporting Pacific-learner success in tertiary education. This project is planned to complement Janinka Greenwood and Lynne-Harata Te Aika’s recent project, Hei Tauira, on exemplary practice for Māori. The work will be led by Dr Cherie Chu (Victoria University of Wellington), in collaboration with the Association of Pacific Staff in Tertiary Education (APSTE).
- Evaluating the impact of successive tertiary education strategies on Pacific achievement in tertiary education. We are currently in the process of evaluating the proposals we have received to undertake this work, and we plan to commission this in November.
On 4-5 November 2015, Ako Aotearoa and APSTE (with the support of the TEC) co-hosted the inaugural NZ Pacific Tertiary Education Forum. Further information and copies of presentations made at this fono can be found here
Ako Aotearoa is delighted to again sponsor the Association of Pasifika Staff in Tertiary Education (APSTE) Conference. APSTE is Aotearoa’s only nationwide mobilised group for Pasifika staff who work in tertiary education. Its mission is to nurture and develop the educational aspirations of Pasifika, while acknowledging our unique cultural heritage and values. 2014 APSTE Conference
- Ako Aotearoa's latest commisioned report Success for Pasifika in tertiary education: Highlights from Ako Aotearoa-supported research has been released (May 2014)
- National Project Fund completed project - Pasifika learners and success in tertiary education (June 2013)
- National Project Fund completed project - Le So’otaga: Bridging the Divide (December 2012)
- National Project Fund completed project – The impact of tertiary education strategies on success for Pacific learners (July 2012)
- Good Practice Publication – Training manual for teachers working with Pacific students: Engaging Pacific learners (December 2011)
- Southern Hub project – Developing an authentic Samoan lens (December 2011)
- Assessing young Samoan children's learning in earlychildhood centres. Ako Aotearoa supports new Pacific Leadership Development Programme (May 2011)
These other sections of the website are also relevant -
|The Resource Centre's Pacific Peoples section for a comprehensive listing of practical resources, including work that Ako Aotearoa has produced or supported.||Also see our Research Register for a listing of research & projects relating to Pacific Peoples|