Today we received word from Ako Aotearoa that our revised final report has been formally accepted. In the end, the title was changed to Common Student Problems with Assessment during the Transition to University: Support Staff Perspectives, Insights, and Recommendations.
This week, we completed the first stage of the data gathering. All in all, we did 22 interviews with support staff from six units on their experiences and views of common student problems with assessment, and in particular in the first year.
We've kicked off semester 2 last week at Canterbury. We are looking at the third year Magmatic Systems and Volcanology course as well as the first year Environmental Geohazards course. We are very fortunate to have Alison Jolley from UBC join us this semester as a research assistant.
Well, here we were on the second day of the semester. The consent forms were ready to go to the instructor participants, the pre-concept test, attitude test and information leaflets were being made ready, and the research assistants were briefed on their roles for the semester.
We completed our first round of data collecting in November last year at Canterbury, thanks in large part to our wonderful research assistants doing so many observations, and the people from our audiovisual centre, who videotaped every single lecture for us.