The Kaupapa Māori Wellbeing Assessment Model – Hei Ara Ako ki te Oranga
Hei Ara Ako ki te Oranga is a collaboration between Literacy Aotearoa and Te Wāhanga, NZCER. A kaupapa Māori assessment model has been developed that demonstrates the link between literacy learning and wellbeing for Māori learners. It addresses the need of Māori literacy providers for relevant and appropriate assessment models of wellbeing for Māori, and it complements the Literacy and Numeracy Assessment Tool for Adults.
The kaupapa Māori wellbeing assessment model, Hei Ara Ako ki te Oranga, involves a process that gathers information about the progress of the learner at different stages in the learner’s programme. The model comprises a set of questions for the learner that address their progress towards their goals. It also involves the learner and the tutor engaging in a conversation and may involve whānau members.
The model has four stages:
- the initial assessment process where the goals of the learner are identified and a learner plan is developed to provide a focus for the tuition.
- a formative assessment where the learner and tutor review progress and both contribute to the learners responses to three questions about their progress.
- the summative assessment where the progress towards achieving the learners goals are discussed and validated.
- the exit statements where the learners complete their programme (s) with the provider comments against a Likert scale to three questions that focus on achievement and future direction.
This project was launched at Tuia Te Ako 2013
- Researchers and practitioners working with Māori learners
- researchers and practitioners working in LLN contexts
- senior managers and policy makers
- Toni Lee Hayward, Literacy Aotearoa
- Dr Jessica Hutchings (Contact Project Leader), New Zealand Council of Educational Research
- Antony Philips, Literacy Aotearoa
- Dr Helen Potter, New Zealand Council of Educational Research
- Katrina Taupo, New Zealand Council of Educational Research
- Bronwyn Yates, Literacy Aotearoa
$ 135,104 (excl. GST)
Hutchings, J., Yates, B., & Isaacs, P. (2013, April) Hei Ara Ako ki te Oranga. Presentation at the Te Tuia Te Ako conference, Ōtaki, New Zealand.
Hutchings, J., Yates, B., & Isaacs, P. (2013, July) Hei Ara Ako ki te Oranga – Kaupapa Māori Wellbeing and Assessment Model for Māori Literacy Learners. Presentation at the Higher Education and Research Development Society of Australasia (HERSDA) conference, Auckland, New Zealand.
The report from this project is published under the Creative Commons 3.0 New Zealand Attribution Non-commercial Share Alike Licence (BY-NC-SA/3.0-NZ). Under this licence you are free to copy, distribute, display and perform the work as well as to remix, tweak, and build upon this work non-commercially, as long as you credit the author/s and license your new creations under the identical terms.