Ako Aotearoa Academy of Tertiary Teaching Excellence resources in category: First Year Biology Educators Colloquium (FYBEC) - 2010
2010 awardee Phil Bishop recently gathered 57 educators together to present, discuss, learn and applaud issues that arise in first year biology teaching.
Four Academy members presented at the Colloquium and Academy friend Sally Kift was the keynote speaker with her presentation around the first year experience.
The programme included:
MONDAY 29th Nov
- Keynote Speaker – Sally Kift - A transition pedagogy to engage and support first year biology students
- Paul Denny – Question creationism - student authored biology questions using PeerWise
- Phil Bishop – PASS (Peer Assisted Study Sessions) pass rates and previous biological knowledge
- John Reynolds – ASSISTing students from 1st to 3rd year: measuring the impact of the curriculum on learning
- Gerry Rayner – Peer-assisted learning (PAL) of evolution
- Mandy Harper/Gail Forbes-Allen/ Claire Masson - Mastering – Oh, the places you’ll go!
TUESDAY 30th Nov
- Jeff Smith - Constructing MCQs
- Alison Campbell – Fun with panopto
- Kevin Gould - Developing higher-order thinking in the100-level classroom
- Tony Zaharic – Now Showing: First-year Biology
- Lisa Russell – A tool developed to help students understand cell ultrastructure.
- Alison Campbell - Enhancing the secondary-tertiary interface