Evaluating a strengths-based learner engagement programme
This Collaboration Project evaluated the outcomes of a strength based course called “My Voice”. Trialled across two PTEs and three secondary schools, this approach resulted in earlier engagement for learners (compared to a comparison group). Learners reported that the approach was associated with increased wellbeing and self-confidence. Tutors reported earlier learner engagement rates, increased motivation and higher aspirations among learners.
This work is likely to be of interest to those:
- working with second-chance or foundation learners
- involved in strengths based education
This project was completed in March 2012.
- Mike Hay (Project Leader), UpSkill NZ
- Colin Campbell, UpSkill NZ
- Lindsay Davis-Goff, Trade and Commerce
- Barry Lucas, BERYL Consultants
- Ray Miller, Te Wānanga o Aotearoa
- Cyril Shaw, Employment Plus
$26,666 GST exc
A Strengths-Based Approach to Education. New Zealand Education Review, Vol 14, pg. 10
This report from this project is published under the Creative Commons 3.0 New Zealand Attribution Non-commercial Share Alike Licence (BY-NC-SA). Under this licence you are free to copy, distribute, display and perform the work as well as to remix, tweak, and build upon this work noncommercially, as long as you credit the author/s and license your new creations under the identical terms.