ITO Workplace Assessment Structures
This completed project examined the different structures and processes that Industry Training Organisations (ITOs) use to support and manage workplace assessment and assessors.
There are 3 outputs from this project, which can be downloaded from the links further down this page. Print versions of the second and third can also be purchased from the Ako Aotearoa shop. They comprise:
- A literature scan that examines the role of assessment in workplace learning, international approaches to workplace assessment and the experiences of workplace assessors.
- Findings from a survey of 33 ITOs and 5 focus groups with ITO representatives, which showed that:
– ITOs have trouble finding enough assessors with the right attributes and supporting them
– training policies and practices impact upon the assessors ability to do their job effectively
– there are mixed views about verification of assessment
– moderation plays a critical role.
- A guide to good practice for on-job assessment, which has been developed to assist ITOs in their thinking about how they can make their workplace assessment more robust, effective, and support high-quality learning.
Four high-level principles regarding on-job assessment have been developed from the project:
- ITOs and employers should have a clear purpose for assessment and work together.
- ITO assessment structures and systems must support the learning process.
- Assessment requires appropriately recruited, trained and professionally developed people.
- Moderation contributes to validity and reliability of assessment decisions.
This project was completed mid-2010.
For further information about the project, please contact the Industry Training Federation.
- Nicholas Huntington (Project Leader), Industry Training Federation
- Dr Karen Vaughan (Project Leader), New Zealand Council for Educational Research
- Dr Neil Bechervaise, Retail Institute
- Marie Cameron, New Zealand Council for Educational Research
- Mary Kingsbury, Competenz
- Dr Dominic Madell, ETITO
- Ian Shepherd, Building and Construction Industry Training Organisation
- Liz Stephenson, Careerforce
$90,000 GST exc.
The first of 3 major outputs from this project
Vaughan, K., & Cameron, M. (2009). Assessment of Learning in the Workplace: A Background Paper. Wellington: Industry Training Federation (3.01 MB PDF)
The second of 3 major outputs from this project:
Vaughan, K., & Cameron, M. (2010a). ITO Workplace Assessment Structures and Systems: Survey and Focus Group Findings. Wellington: Industry Training Federation (2.56 MB PDF)
The third major output from this project
Vaughan, K., & Cameron, M. (2010b). A Guide to Good Practice in Industry Training Organisation Structures and Systems for On-Job Assessment. Wellington: Industry Training Federation. (4.12 MB PDF)
The report from this project is published under the Creative Commons 3.0 New Zealand Attribution Non-commercial Share Alike Licence (BY-NC-SA). Under this licence you are free to copy, distribute, display and perform the work as well as to remix, tweak, and build upon this work non-commercially, as long as you credit the author/s and license your new creations under the identical terms.