Signposts: a professional development resource for new teaching staff in the tertiary sector
This guide for new tertiary teachers is a series of one-page 'Signposts' explaining key ideas of teaching and learning. It is the result of a project funded by the Ako Aotearoa Northern Hub.
There are 3 outputs from this project:
- Signposts – a guide, available as a pdf and in print, which offers a variety of learning and teaching strategies, practice and processes to help new teachers pass on their expert knowledge to learners.
(IBSN: 978-1-927202-68-5 print and 978-1-927202-69-2 online)
- a staff developer's guide with suggestions of how Signposts can be used, which was developed following a collaborative national evaluation of the project.
- a report from the Collaborative National Evaluation of Signposts.
- Planning to teach
- How to get going with your class
- Engaging your students in their learning
- Classroom management
- Delivering the goods
- The language of assessment
- Reflecting on teaching
- Knowing about and responding to difference
- Being professional
- Embedding literacy and numeracy
- Judith Honeyfield (Project Leader), Cath Fraser and Linda Shaw, Bay of Plenty Polytechnic
- Pat Reid, NorthTec
- Adam McMillan and Victor Fester, Waikato institute of Technology
- Debra Robertson-Welsh, Manukau Institute of Technology
- Helen van Toor and Liz Fitchett, Waiariki Institute of Technology
This work is published under the Creative Commons 3.0 New Zealand Attribution Non-commercial Share Alike Licence (BY-NC-SA). Under this licence you are free to copy, distribute, display and perform the work as well as to remix, tweak, and build upon this work noncommercially, as long as you credit the author/s and license your new creations under the identical terms.