This new project, jointly funded by the Teaching and Learning Research Initiative (TLRI) and Ako Aotearoa sought to improve the tertiary education outcomes for mathematics learners. This team developed a framework for expressing learning goals in undergraduate mathematics (called a Course Learning Profile) and test it in a series of interventions:
- Intensive Student Use of Technology (Led by Greg Oates and Louise Sheryn, advised by Mike Thomas)
- Team-Based Learning (Led by Judy Paterson and Dimitri Leemans)
- Low Lecture Mode (Led by Bill Barton and Barbara Kensington-Miller)
This study is designed to impact on undergraduate learning in the mathematical sciences broadly across New Zealand. The project team is primarily based at the Mathematics Department at The University of Auckland but will work in collaboration with colleagues in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics at the University of Canterbury and the School of Mathematics, Statistics and Operations Research at Victoria University of Wellington. The research will also be supported by an international reference group of experts.
Aside from the Research Report, the team have developed seven practical "How to" guides that address specific areas of this work.
How to Guides
- Download How to Guide 1 - Implement team-based learning
- Download How to Guide 2 - Implement semi-authentic mathematical experiences
- Download How to Guide 3 - Shift responsibility for learning onto students
- Download How to Guide 4 - Monitor feelings and beliefs about the mathematical sciences
- Download How to Guide 5 - Monitor the development of mathematical communication
- Download How to Guide 6 - Generate conceptual readiness
- Download How to Guide 7 - Develop mathematical readiness
(Example of How to Guide 1)
- Professor Bill Barton (contact project leader), The University of Auckland
- Dr Judy Paterson (co-project leader), The University of Auckland
- Dr Fiona Ell, The University of Auckland
- Dr Barbara Kensington-Miller, The University of Auckland
- Dr Greg Oates, The University of Auckland
- Dr Louise Sheryn, The University of Auckland
- Professor Mike Thomas, The University of Auckland
- Dr Caroline Yoon, The University of Auckland
$276,900 (excl. GST)
Completed end of 2016.
Other project outputs
Barton, B (2013). LUMOS, Shedding light on undergraduate mathematics University of East Anglia, Mathematics Education Seminar(853kb PPT)
Barton, B. & Paterson, J. (2013). Capturing Undergraduate Learning. CULMS Newsletter No. 7, pp3-6(157kb docx)
The report from this project is published under the Creative Commons 3.0 New Zealand Attribution Non-commercial Share Alike Licence (BY-NC-SA). Under this licence you are free to copy, distribute, display and perform the work as well as to remix, tweak, and build upon this work non-commercially, as long as you credit the author/s and license your new creations under the identical terms.